Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Someday, I'll have a new Buddy



When I finally get a new job (still no word, by the way) and we get our finances in order and Matt gets his new computer, I'm going to buy a Buddy.

What the hell is a Buddy? It's a scooter, of course.

The one I want runs about $2,600 plus taxes and fees. I'd also have to get my motorcycle license, since the Buddy runs at 125cc. In the state of Minnesota, you don't need a motorcycle license if the bike is at 50cc or lower, which is classified as a moped. Who wants a dinky moped? They don't break 30 MPH.

Matt is of course making fun of me for wanting a scooter. But what else can get 80MPG? And since we live in St. Louis Park, the farthest commute we'd have is St. Paul, which is less than 20 miles away. I'm not sure I'd take the scooter all the way to St. Paul, but who knows. On top of cheap commutes, the insurance for the Buddy runs anywhere from $50 to $100 a year for full coverage and under insured motorists, depending on your driving record (last time I got any sort of violation was in 2001, thankyouverymuch).

This guy would be perfect for running errands and yes, even going to work. You can fit two to three bags of groceries under the seat. This Buddy even seats two people.

I told Matt he'd have to get his motorcycle license also, because no matter how much he makes fun of me for it, he'll eventually want to take it out for a spin.

I need to pay off my current car, first. And of course keep it because I wouldn't ride this in the winter.

There even was some guy who rode his Buddy across America. That sounds like fun ... and also insane.

Someday, I'll have a new Buddy.

No comments: